Engineering Manager APPLY NOW
Speck is obsessed with designing products that are just as smart and indispensable as the gadgets they protect. Founded in 2001 by a group of design engineers, and located in the heart of Silicon Valley, we are captivated by technology, fanatical about our gadgets, and consumed with making products people love. We make cases that don’t just protect smartphones, MacBooks, e-readers and tablets – they also enhance them with clever details that spark delight in our customers. Speck's line of products designed for impact with up-to-date design, trends, and future technology.
Speck’s Engineering Manager will manage and develop a team of engineers as we continue to grow and expand our product offerings. This position is a mix of hands-on engineering responsibilities while providing oversight to our mechanical engineering team. You will manage and mentor the team of mechanical engineers as they support the launch of new products and sustaining of existing products. The engineering team works closely with our design team and our supply chain partners. Speck’s engineering manager has an enthusiasm to create products with high customer appeal, is hands-on, and detail oriented.
● Guide and mentor team members with their day-to-day engineering responsibilities, professional and career development.
● Collaborate with the product industrial design team to determine product styling, design for manufacturability and user ergonomics.
● Mentor junior engineers on plastic injection molding and rapid prototyping methods.
● Partners cross-functionally to ensure cost effective design solutions, smooth launches and sustained production.
● Consult, influence and negotiate with vendors on project plans, manufacturability, and new product launches.
● Outlining QC requirements and guidelines.
● Manage individual engineering projects and responsibilities along with providing daily direction and mentorship to team of developing engineers.
● Thrive in a small, dedicated team environment.
● Travel internationally to vendors for new product launches;some sustainment activities are possible but currently not a must.
● BS in Mechanical Engineering or related field is required.
● 5 to 7 years’ experience in the Consumer Electronics, or other consumer product development, engineering, design, or accessory industry.
● Minimum of 2 years’ experience managing a team of two or more engineers, developing products in the above industry is desired.
● Minimum of 2 years’ experience in 3D surface and/or part design, using Solid Works, Pro E or other 3D Design software.
● Must be able to interface with manufacturing/tooling fab vendors.
● Able to prepare, read, analyze, and interpret common technical and manufacturing documents.
● Excellent management, interpersonal and problem solving skills.
● Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Demonstrates in-depth understanding of design tolerance and dimensioning.
● A plus to have experience and knowledge regarding integrated electronics.
● Positive and fun outlook with the ability to meet the needs of an ever-changing industry and tight project deadlines.
● Ability to be an enthusiastic team player with solid people and project management skills.
● Possess ability to thrive in a collaborative work environment and love the challenges that come with innovation and change.
● Possess strong leadership skills and able to effectively communicate individual and team goals in a fast paced environment; results driven with a “do what it takes” mindset; able to focus self and others to achieve and exceed goals.
Currently working hybrid on-site and remotely. Candidates are ideally within a reasonable distance to the main office.
Speck Products is an equal opportunity employer.|||San Mateo, CA|||||||||T07wZZ_.Y9U4s3-y|||FULL_TIME|||USD|||HOUR|||single||||||||||||false